- Congressional and state primaries: nonpartisan, Top Two
- Democratic Presidential primary: mixed
- Republican Presidential primary: closed
- Voters may or may not choose to affiliate with a political party.
- 24% of registered voters in California are unaffiliated or independent.
Details of voting in congressional and state primary elections:
- California has enacted Top Two, nonpartisan primaries at the state and local level; all registered voters receive the same ballot regardless of party affiliation, and the top two vote getters move on to the general election.
- Voter registration closes 15 days before the primary election.