Posted by Kellie Ryan on January 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM
Virginia Voters! Awake!
The political class was "shocked and surprised" at the rise of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. They still don't get it! The independent voters who ultimately determine elections actually pay attention to what they do versus what they say! Once again the political class is attempting to circumvent laws and policies for their own personal benefit. Yet another reason to become Independent and Involved and "Chase those crazy baldheads out of town"!
Here are the facts:
- For the March 1 primary election, the Republican Party of Virginia (RPV) will require voters who select a Republican ballot to sign a pledge indicating they are Republicans.
- The State Board of Elections (SBE) approved the rule and will enforce it.
- Trump supporters sued the SBE and RPV in federal court; the injunction request was denied.
- Del. Sam Rasoul (D-Roanoke) introduced four election reform measures for the General Assembly session that began Wed: nonpartisan open primaries (HB 1040), redistricting (HB 303), a bill which eases party definition (HB 82), and term limits (HJ 18).
- Del. Lingamfelter (R-Woodbridge) introduced a bill to require party registration and close the primaries (HB 806).
- None of the 122 incumbent VA legislators were unseated in 2015. And over half (79 of 140) of the 2015 VA legislative races had no general election challenger.
Here are some arguments:
- Voters have the right to participate in every stage of the election.
- The pledge is an end run on the current law (non-partisan voter registration).
- Elected officials represent everyone, not just members of their party.
- Placing party interests ahead of voters' interests tarnishes the democratic process.
- Del. Rasoul is trying to open elections in Virginia; he deserves recognition and support.
- Del. Lingamfelter and the RPV are trying to privatize a public process; they deserve a lesson in democracy.
- Nonpartisan elections give voters more freedom and more choice - constitutional principles that Republicans claim to value; they should be lining up to support Rasoul's bill instead of closing the primaries.
Please contact your Representative today and tell them to stand up for Virginia Voters and support Representative Sam Rasoul's legislation!
K. LaMar Mack Asburn Resident