- Democratic congressional and state primaries: open
- Republican congressional and state primaries: open
- Democratic Presidential primary: open
- Republican Presidential primary: open
- Alabama has nonpartisan registration. There is no option to affiliate with a political party on the voter registration form.
- Independent voters are allowed to vote in primary elections. All voters must choose one party's ballot to vote on, but they are not tied to that party.
- A voter can decide not to participate in either party's primary and will be given the amendments/referendum ballot only.
- Those who chose the Democratic ballot are held to that affiliation in the case of a runoff election.