- Louisiana does not hold a primary election for congressional and state races.
- Democratic Presidential primary: closed
- Republican Presidential primary: closed
- Voters may or may not choose to affiliate with a political party.
- 26% of Louisiana voters are not registered with a political party.
Details of voting in congressional and state primary elections:
- Louisiana does not hold a traditional primary election. In the general election, all candidates appear on a single ballot. All registered voters may participate. If a candidate does not receive 50% of the vote there is a runoff election between the top two vote getters.