- Democratic congressional and state primaries: mixed
- Republican congressional and state primaries: mixed
- Democratic Presidential primary: closed
- Republican Presidential primary: closed
- Voters may or may not choose to affiliate with a political party, however, affiliation with a party is required to vote in primary elections.
- 39% of New Jersey voters are registered as unaffiliated.
Details of voting in congressional and state primary elections:
- Voters must affiliate with a party in order to participate in that party's primary elections.
- Unaffiliated voters may affiliate with a political party at the polls in order to participate in that party's primary.
- Party members that want to change their affiliation must do so 55 days before the primary election.