New Mexico Open Primaries: The mission of New Mexican Open Primaries is to make sure that every vote counts by getting at the root cause of our political dysfunction. Our goals are to advocate for open and nonpartisan primary elections, educate voters and elected officials about why elections must be a state and not a party function, push for a non-partisan re-districting approach and help pass a New Mexico constitutional amendment that would establish everyone’s right to vote in all elections.
- Democratic congressional and state primaries: closed
- Republican congressional and state primaries: closed
- Democratic Presidential primary: closed
- Republican Presidential primary: closed
- Voters may or may not choose to affiliate with a political party, however, affiliation with a party is required to vote in primary elections.
- 19% of New Mexico voters declined to affiliate with a political party.
Details of voting in congressional and state primary elections:
- Voters must affiliate with a party to vote in that party's primary election.
- Voter registration closes 28 days before the primary election.